Animal Welfare Friends Shelter – Monticello, IA
Animal Welfare Friends is seeking to fill a part time position at the shelter in Monticello. The ideal candidate is neat, attentive, and animal oriented.
The hours for this position are flexible, with start time between 7 am–8 am for 2-4 hour shifts. Shifts can be worked one day a week or many.
The rate for this position is $11.50 an hour.
Any candidate must be able to work with and around animals, including diseased, injured and/or temperamental animals. Work conditions may include loud noises, chemicals, and inclement weather. Allergic conditions which would be aggravated when handling or working with animals may be a disqualification. Candidates must be dependable and have reliable transportation.
Above all, candidate must have affection for animals, and a concern for their welfare.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clean dog and cat kennels per shelter procedures
- Distribute morning meals to dogs and cats
- Move animals within the shelter as needed
- Identify sick and/or injured animals and follows procedures as needed
- Administer and document medications when needed
- Reports to the shelter manager
- A combination of education and/or animal welfare experience
- Effective interpersonal and written communication skills
- Successful applicant should be team-oriented
- Must have a valid driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential tasks.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, talk/hear, and demonstrate and practice safe animal handling skills.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and be able to handle extra large dogs with little or no leash training.
These physical demands and skills are not all inclusive.